In the midst of making these extra fast fun animals and not so difficult scarves, I told this girl at work that I would make her an afghan for her high school graduation. I had no idea how long it would take, but I had just gotten this great book with so many ideas for creative granny squares.
I ended up loving what I came up with. This book has 200 block patterns and ideas for arranging squares into some amazing afghans. I picked out the squares that I liked and found really cool pattern for the overall blanket. I made each square and took pictures.
Then I did something that was an amazing help. I put these pictures in an excel spreadsheet and laid them out in the pattern I wanted. I couldn't decide between this:
Or this :
I decided that the mostly beige and brown squares were too light, so I decided to rethink it. I made this one instead:
It reminded me of candy corn, so I texted Kelsey and made sure she didn't have some crazy hatred for candy corn. She didn't, and I was glad, too. It turned out great on the spreadsheet. This was a option:
But this one that won out:
Seriously, this was a labor of love. I was so proud of this blanket. I loved the colors and the patterns. It was beautiful. Needless to say, I learned my lesson. These gigantic projects belonged in the family. This baby represented arond $100 worth of yarn and supplies and over $500 worth of my own labor. It was a massively expensive gift to give a 17 year old just starting out in her first apartment with a brand new kitten. I wasn't happy about letting it go, but I said I would, so I did. She has it now, has had it for over a year. *sigh* Well, she loves it and still talks about it.